Sunday, November 22, 2009

Halibut fishing with Porter- Monday, June 09, 2008

A couple weeks ago, we made our way to the first adventure of the summer. Halibut fishing out of Seward with friends.

I set the alarm for 0400, but I woke up at 0230. Boys never change no matter what age. We all get giddy the night before hunting or fishing. Its tough falling asleep when your hearts pumping adrenaline instead of blood.

I woke Porter, and he jumped out of bed like he was in starting blocks. He had gone to sleep in his clothes, I guess to save time. While waiting for Kim to wake up, we packed extra long johns, socks, camera's, and a few snacks. At 0430, Kim finally woke, and we climb into the car.

Our first stop, we have to pick up Joshy in Soldotna. and he's looking really tired. "I had a hard time getting to sleep". Yeah, us too. "I guess I was excited to go fishing". Yeah, us too. We made our way to the last of our group in Sterling, and all climbed into one big rig. Angus is driving, Mikey is shotgun, and Kim is cuddled between Joshy and I. Porter quickly fell asleep in the back seat.

We rolled into Seward, and the day is already looking perfect. Suns out, no wind, flat water. Can't ask for more. We loaded gear onto our backs and slowly walked down the harbor ramp. We easily find the boat, and everyone is ready to go. I had invited a friend, Karla, who had recently moved to Anchorage from Oregon. She was one of my Nursing Instructors in college, and when I found out she was in Alaska, I felt compelled to show her a good time. She likes to say Alaska is her "Last Great Adventure". She's not too old for adventure yet, and I tell her so. She smiled at that.

On our way out, we saw otters, porpoises, whales, and sea lions. This alone made the trip worthwhile for Karla. Two hours after leaving the boat harbor, we finally let go of the anchor. It didn't take much encouragement, and everyone had hooks baited and wet. Someone hollers, "First fish gets $10 from everyone else". Right away, Kim is hooked into a Black Bass. Ugly little suckers. I quickly yell, "If you've kissed the one with the first fish, you don't have to pay..."

My first date with Kim, Porter and I took her fishing on Nest lake out the Swanson Canoe Trails. She smoked us. She doesn't even eat fish, and she still smoked us. Some people just got it I guess.

Soon, we came into a school of Black Bass. Someone gives Porter instructions, "Let the hook down, count to ten, and start reeling." He does, and he pulls in his limit of Black Bass in about 15 minutes. No one else is catching much at all. A total of 4 very small halibut, 2 Yellow Eye, and 12 Black bass. I had a nasty looking skate up at one time. He was a mean looking dude, with 2 or 3 spikes off his tail. It was a beautiful day for fishing, without much catching.

We all grew tired, and even though we were short of halibut, we headed home. Everyone was sitting in the cabin except Joshy. He was standing in the middle, holding a beer in his hand, and completely asleep (I once saw Joshy fall asleep in the middle of putting a new bag in the garbage can). Most Alaskans have a summertime philosophy- we'll sleep this winter. Porter has crashed against Angus, Kim is leaned against the wall, and across from us, everyone was asleep sitting straight up.

What a great day. Fish, friends, sun.

Everytime we go out, I'm sure to tell Porter, "We fish for the fellowship, not the fish", hoping it will guide him to appreciate all that Alaska is. I think when you have only known one place, it's easy to become complacent, or blinded to the beauty all around. This is the best place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment