Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hiking with Porter- Friday, July 11, 2008

This past 4th of July, Kimmy, Porter and I decided to hang out with some friends up on Crescent Lake. Now, Kim and I love hiking. We've never gone on a long hike together, but separately, we love hiking. This might be a test...

The morning we were to begin, I packed what I needed- the bare minimum, while Kim was in charge of food. We had a slight disagreement about what to take, but I decided she would probably do a lot better job packing for a family than I. I knew I would have the biggest bag... because I'm a man... and it's my job to be the mule. I didn't want to know what was going in my bag.

I told Kim to find a gallon jug we could fill with water and I'd carry it. I know this sounds like a stupid idea, but its the way I've always done it. I've heard of water filters, but always thought they were more expensive than good. Kim is such a good girl. She rarely argues with me, unless she's positive my idea will end in horrible failure. She made me stop at the store, and we bought my first water filter. The cheapest one was $70. I bought it, and I wasn't happy.

As the car made its way to Cooper Landing, I realized I had never been to Crescent Lake, and I had no clue where to start. I do this a lot. Gung ho to go, but haven't really thought it all through. After a quick call to a friend we had a starting point, and quickly found the parking lot of the trail head. I'm getting better as I get older.

Porter was excited to get started, that is, until he found out he had to pack a bag also. It wasn't heavy... I am a good daddy. Some clothes, a knife, some cookies, and in the bottom of the bag, a surprise can of soda I thought he'd like something sweet after hiking all afternoon. I found out later that 6 yr olds don't usually pack bags on long hikes. Within the first 100 yards the whining began, and did not end until we sat on the cabin porch.

The hike was amazing. Waterfalls, cricks (creeks), wildlife, and bear scat all over the place. I won't bore you with the entire trip... it's just filled with all Alaska is and a ton of 6 yr old whining. It took us somewhere around 3.5 hrs to finally reach the cabin. Six miles in 3.5 hrs. It seems like a long time to walk 6 miles. We emptied the last of our water bottles by the time we hit the top.

We stopped at the cabin porch, dumped the bags and collapsed. Kim used the filter to fill the bottles and then started on the tent while I found something to burn. Because the cabin is used a lot, there is no wood for at least a couple hundred yards in all directions. It took me a while to find enough to last the night.

When I was finished with the wood, I grabbed my pole and headed to the boat. I was tired and wanted to eat a fish. All three of us hopped in, and I started paddling into the middle of the lake. We only got a few casts out before we saw our friends walk up to the cabin, so I paddled back in, against the wind. Almost back to the landing, and Kimmy hooks into a big fat grayling. She always outfishes me, even though she doesn't eat fish. I don't really care though. I'm not the type of man who feels belittled by a capable woman. As long as she feeds me, it's fine.

I started the fire, gutted the grayling, then wrapped him up in some tin foil covered in seasonings. I always take a roll of tin foil and salt with me when I go out anywhere. I have cooked just about every wild thing in Alaska using tin foil. It's versatile, and sometimes, one piece can be used over and over. A 14" fish will cook in about 10 minutes in hot coals.

When the fire burned down some, I tossed the silver package into the embers. Kim was doing her own thing with the food she brought, but I didn't really pay attention until she pulled a sauce pan out of the bag I carried on my back. Not a little lightweight cookpan, but the sauce pan from the kitchen. Then she pulled 3 bowls... again from home. Big fat bowls. I usually make a bowl out of the foil...

I ask "Whats for dinner?"

Rice.

"Sweet, I can throw some of my fish in it. Anything else?"

Hot chocolate.

"Hot chocolate for camping?"

Yeah, and marshmellows.

"I hauled hot chocolate and marshmellows up here?"

Don't be a baby.

I will admit, it was good flavored rice, and the fish in there made it great. Then the hot chocolate after dinner was tough to beat. But I wasn't happy about carrying all that stuff 6 miles. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but I can be a real ass sometimes. I usually know it, but find it easier to just let it out and get it over with. When hiking alone, I take salt, peanut butter, water, tin foil and one extra set of clothes. I always have a gun, and usually a fishing rod with a little tackle. In the last year, I started carrying a GPS, because I was lost once, and I didn't like the feeling. All together I might be carrying 10-15 pounds and a rifle. I know for sure that bag I carried up Crescent weighed at least 30, and now that I knew what was in the bag, I was in a bad mood.

The tent I have used for the last 3 yrs is a good $20 tent from Fred Meyers. It has worked fine. Its a little small, but its easy to heat, keeps the water off, and the wind blocked. Well, from the second we slid in for the night, the bitching started.

"Your tent is too small."

This thing works great. Small tents are easier to keep warm. Once we settle in, it'll be fine.

"We are getting another tent before we go hiking again."

Thank the Lord I fell asleep fast.

I woke early the next morning and started the fire going for breakfast. I had a little fish left over and started throwing it down the hatch. Kim made some instant oatmeal appear from my bag. I made some mean comment about packing oatmeal 6 miles, then ate it. It was good.

The rest of the day, we fished, slept, and fished some more. Porter made friends with a little girl camping with us (Corrine, but I called her Corn just to bug her), and I'm pretty sure it was love at first sight. He climbed trees for her, caught minnows in the lake with his hands, made a bow and arrow, and in general showed he was a little man. Her parents were surprised at his woodsman skills, but I've been working with him since birth on all that stuff. I expect it from him. Later in the day, he found a piece of shale that we tied to a stick with roots, to make a hammer. It lasted about 3 whacks before we had to tie the head back on. We would make great cave men...

The 2nd day was bad for Kim and I. I guess all of my nasty little comments had finally reached a boiling point, and she was fed up. So I took a 4 hr nap. When I woke, I apologized, and made an attempt to appreciate the meals she packed. I admitted they tasted a lot better than what I would of brought, and told her the water filter was a really good idea too. I loved her up for the rest of the day, and bragged about her fishing skills to everyone. See, I know she's smarter than me, and way nicer/ prettier than I deserve. And I know I can be mean sometimes, so I have no problem apologizing after. She's such a good girl. Not many could stand me for this long.


One more sleep and we started packing things up for our trip down. Porter told Corn goodbye, but it took a lot longer than I thought a simple goodbye would of. I told Porter no whining on the hike down or I would bleed in my head. He got wise. Every half mile or so, he'd say, "Potty break!" After the third potty break, I informed him that his bladder was empty, and we wouldn't be waiting for him again. Then he started asking how much further... every half mile or so.

Kim is so smart. Porter likes to show off his counting skills, so Kim told him 280 steps more. I started doing the math in my head and realized she was off by a whole lot, but it didn't stop him. He hit 280 and kept counting. It was a good distraction. Before you knew it, we were back at the car, heading home.

So I guess I passed this relationship test. Not with flying colors or anything... more like a B-. But a B- is still passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment